It’s the end of a long day and you’re looking to unwind. You turn on your screen and start scrolling through your choices. “Do you want something about womxn and directed by a female filmmaker?” you ask yourself. “A documentary could work,” you say, “but do you want something uplifting, socially relevant, funny? What about all of the above?”
When you find yourself pondering all of the above, type in: Mary Janes: The Women of Weed.
The award-winning documentary is inspiring, revolutionary, and warm all at the same time. It features powerful interviews with 40 womxn leading the cannabis industry and is directed by a social justice filmmaker. But those are not the reasons to watch it.
All of those features may get you to add something to your watch list, but when it comes down to you and your screen after a long day, you don’t want anything that feels like “work”. You’re looking for something that’s easy, engaging, entertaining, and perhaps mildly educational.
We hear you.
Below are 10 reasons to watch “Mary Janes: The Women of Weed”:
- Learn the history of womxn in cannabis in a quick, entertaining way.
- Gather with your friends for a movie night. Remember how fun those used to be?
- Celebrate womxn in the cannabis industry–the fastest growing industry in the 21st century.
- Educate your friends and family about cannabis. Sometimes watching a film together can open the door for dialogue.
- Feel inspired and empowered to be a womxn in cannabis. Take time to celebrate our wins.
- Promote cannabis justice in your community. Hosting a community screening can highlight your group’s current call-to-action.
- Support films by and about womxn. Strong digital sales make it easier to green light more projects directed by women about womxn.
- Hear from the O.G. cannabis activists. You’ve heard their names, now listen to their message in their own words.
- Envision a future with gender equity, social justice, and sustainability. If we can see it, we can be it.
- Join the Puffragette Movement. Make it official by owning the film. You can take it a step further by sporting the merchandise, giving it to your friends, or buying enough for your whole team.
Can’t decide how to watch it? Use this Film Decision Tree.
Want to host a screening? Learn how.